Cold/Canker Sore Treatment with Lasers
A laser in medicine and dentistry is a state-of-the-art device that uses light energy to perform changes in human tissue. Lasers are unique because they can treat targeted tissue while leaving surrounding tissue unaffected. It is this property among others that allow Dr. Glerum and her team to perform very precise procedures in laser treatment of mouth sores as well as in other areas of dentistry. In addition, lasers may seal off blood vessels and nerve endings during a procedure, lessening bleeding, postoperative pain and swelling. In many cases, due to their gentle and precise nature, lasers are used with little or no anesthetic.
How are lasers used in Cold Sores (Herpetic Lesions)?
Gentle laser energy is focused on the lesions (cold sores). Cold sores can be uncomfortable, unaesthetic, and inconvenient. They generally break out around the upper or lower lip in response to trauma, or whenever physical or psychological stress levels dramatically increase. They are known as “cold sores” because sufferers frequently notice an outbreak before, during or after a cold or flu, when the body’s immune system is weakened.
Once you experience the tell-tale “tingling” sensation (known as a pro-dromal) symptom, it’s only a matter of time before a full-blown sore appears. Then, healing can take as long as two weeks, and quality of life may be significantly compromised. Therefore, it is critical to begin laser treatment before the sore has had a chance to develop. Be sure to give us a call as soon as you feel a cold sore starting. We can usually see you quickly to prevent the outbreak from getting worse.
What about Aphthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)?
Laser treatment is very effective on Aphthous ulcers (canker sores) for the same reasons. Canker sores differ from cold sores because canker sores generally affect the inside of the mouth, usually inside the cheeks, on the palate, on the sides of or under the tongue.
The stinging sensation of the canker sore is eliminated in seconds with laser treatment and healing is rapid and uneventful.
What are the benefits of laser treatment of mouth sores such as Cold/Canker sores?
- It is high tech and yet surprisingly affordable. The treatment may be insurance reimbursable.
- Treatment is very quick and painless. There is no need for anesthetic. The only sensation you may feel is a warm sensation on the lip.
- Photonic Laser Energy destroys the virus responsible for the sore.
- Most of our patients who are treated when the lip starts tingling never develop a sore.
- Profound relief is immediate. After just a few minutes, you will be on your way to face the world again!
- If the sore has already broken out, it will progress no further after treatment.
- The lip will return to normal in a matter of days, instead of two weeks without laser treatment.
- Not only will the lip get back to normal more quickly, but it will remain comfortable during the healing process.
- Each laser treatment takes just a few minutes.
- The laser’s light energy promotes healing through gentle “photo-biostimulation” deep within the lip.
- After treatment, sores reoccur with less frequency and less intensity at the same location. Some patients never get another outbreak in this same location!
- Remember, there is virtually no discomfort during or following laser treatment of cold sores.
Laser treatment will be better than anything else you’ve tried. It outperforms both over the counter and prescription medications. In some cases, we will use an ointment in conjunction with the laser treatment, depending on the severity of the lesion.